Becoming a Proctor For The NYS Bar Examination
DEFINITION AND JOB DESCRIPTION
Under direct supervision, Proctors assist with the administration
of examinations by observing applicants taking examinations and
maintaining the integrity and security of the examination process.
Proctors are hired and compensated as employees and paid an hourly
wage. Titles in the Proctor title series are not graded. The
classification for this title is “casual” inasmuch as employees who
are hired to provide proctoring services work intermittently
depending upon the examination schedule and their availability to
The bar exam is administered in New York City, White Plains, Albany, Saratoga Springs and Buffalo. Currently, the Board has openings for proctors in all exam locations.
- At least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma/GED – or- an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the rules of English grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Knowledge of examination administration rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of examination materials and forms.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to check written material in order to verify its completeness, accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to apply knowledge of rules and procedures when responding to questions.
- Ability to read and interpret written instructions or procedures and apply them.
- Ability to stand and walk for lengthy periods.
- Ability to lift and carry objects which may weigh up to
forty (40) pounds.
- Conducts inspections of admission documentation to verify that only authorized applicants are admitted to the examination.
- Responds to inquiries from applicants.
- Directs applicants to assigned seating.
- Takes attendance.
- Tracks examination time and provides periodic updates.
- Maintains security of examination materials.
- Distributes, collects and accounts for examination materials.
- Observes and monitors applicants before and during the examination.
- Completes various forms related to the examination process.
- Follows and responds to direction from the Proctor Supervisor and/or Center Supervisor.
- Enforces security protocols and procedures.
- Prepares unusual incident reports.
- Print out the Proctor Application Form and provide an answer to each question. Mail the completed application to the Board.
- The Board will review your application. If you are hired as
a proctor, you be notified by the Board through the email
address you provided on your application. You will be sent a
link to an online application with additional questions that
must be answered before the hiring process is complete. At that
time, you will be instructed which employment forms you need to
PROCTOR APPLICATION FORMS